The fifth edition of the MOTN Festival will return next month.
With winter break kicking off on 12 December for both public and private schools across the UAE, parents are already on the lookout for ways to keep the kids entertained – especially as travel still isn’t on the cards for so many people. Enter: the MOTN Festival in Abu Dhabi. Returning for its fifth edition, the capital’s ultimate family event will take place on the Abu Dhabi Corniche from 9 to 18 December, translating to ten days of fun activities, unique activations, shopping opportunities aplenty and more.
Hosted by the Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi, the annual festival was created to honour the legacy of HH Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak, who is known countrywide as the Mother of the Nation – hence its name. We’re told that the 2021 MOTN experience will bring with it amazing attractions such as Instagrammable signage, live art installations and musical performances, as well as food options and rides suitable for visitors of all ages. “As we experience a revival of the tourism and culture sectors in the capital, we are really excited to see the return of one of the highlights of our entertainment calendar, the Mother of the Nation Festival,” said HE Ali Hassan Al Shaiba, Executive Director of Marketing and Tourism at the Department of Culture and Tourism – Abu Dhabi.
“The annual event provides a unique platform to celebrate the visionary who has significantly contributed to the UAE, HH Sheikha Fatima bint Mubarak. We are thrilled to welcome back the whole community to honour her legacy through combining heritage with contemporary culture, fusing global flavours with the hospitality and the culture of the emirates for visitors and residents to enjoy.” Showcasing global and local culture and hospitality alongside leading retail outlets and the creative works of international and regional artists, the festival will be divided into the following six zones, with sub-themes represented through structures, activities and installations.
– Inspire Space: An awe-inspiring area filled with photo opportunities to boost Instagram profiles, including the Dessert Museum, MOTN Funhouse, and a world celebrating manga and cosplayers.
– Thrill Zone: An action-filled family adventure zone for exploration and excitement including a skate and parkour park, horror rooms, VR gaming hub, Rick and Morty Lazer Tag, Jeep Track and more.
– Food Hub: A culinary area where foodies can eat their way around delicious gastronomical delights with some of the best local and global F&B vendors making their Abu Dhabi debut. The area will also house a larger-than-life art installation by artist Daniel Popper of Burning Man fame.
– Music Arena: A live performance destination hosting international artists, DJs and A-list local musicians performing some of their biggest hits.
– Shopping District: A curated fashion and retail space to celebrate design with something for everyone, from luxury to bridge and high-end international brands such as Dior and Chanel.
– Amusement Park: A zone inspired by some of the most recognisable theme parks in the world, housing a series of fun activations including World of Nickelodeon, Diggers Lab, children’s play park, exciting carnival rides and games.