FACT Chats: Salama Mohamed, founder of skincare brand Peacefull
FACT catches up with the founder of clean skincare brand Peacefull to talk about beauty regimes, skincare products, and everything in between.
What was the inspiration behind creating your skincare brand Peacefull?
I’ve been blessed with vitiligo and sensitive skin from an early age, so I’ve always searched for skincare products that would provide my skin with what it needed, but I couldn’t find ones that hit the mark for me. Eventually, through my search, I stumbled upon Korean skincare and discovered the healing powers of active ingredients through the ten-step skincare routine, and I have not looked back since! I swear by it. It completely changed my skin and my relationship with skincare.
This ultimately led to me creating Peacefull, which you can say started out of necessity because I needed products that would help my sensitive skin. After finding Korean skincare and active ingredients, I wanted to share formulas that work with my global community because I truly believe we all deserve good skincare!
Why Peacefull? What is the significance behind the name of the brand?
I’ve always said that being at peace in your skin is the highest form of self-love and I’m not sure if you know but Salama, my name, means peace and safety, so there was such a direct link that it just felt right. And we specifically spell with a double ‘l’ to emphasise how Peacefull our products are and make you feel!
Born and raised in the UAE, how important was it for you to launch a brand specifically for women in the region?
Very important! That being said, Peacefull isn’t just for women in the region. What makes us unique is that we are for everyone who lives in the region or those exposed to similar climates. We are an inclusive brand made for everyone, all genders, nationalities, skin types, and sensitive skin for those aged 18 and above.
Can you please talk us through the products?
Our products are special and heroes in their own particular way. Each product was formulated uniquely with hybrid formulas (you won’t find anything like them in the market!) and brings with it a special benefit and its place in the skincare routine.
Our mugwort clay mask is a face wash that gives you the benefits of wearing a clay mask but with hydration, so you are not stripping your natural skin moisture. And don’t get me started on the toner. It’s one of a kind! It’s a hybrid between a toner and an essence. Crazy, we know! And I can’t forget the ever glow moisturiser, which is the product you’ve always wanted in your life. It doesn’t leave you feeling like a glazed doughnut. There is no stickiness, oiliness or greasiness, and yet it plumps your skin and gives you the natural, healthy glow you deserve.
Can you please talk us through your personal skincare routine?
Currently, my full routine for summer usually goes like this:
- I start with our mugwort clay mask to cleanse my face. It is a face wash that gives you the benefits of wearing a clay mask but with hydration, so you are not stripping your natural skin moisture. If I have makeup on, I’ll double cleanse. Otherwise, I move on to the next step. I do this in the morning and evening.
- Then I love using my hands to apply the Endless Purifying Toner. I love this step as it’s an essence enriched toner, so I’m getting maximum hydration on the deepest level.
- Next, I use an under eye cream.
- I’ll use a sheet mask when I have more time and just want to pamper myself a little more.
- Then I’m putting on our Ever Glow Moisturizer and what I love is it doesn’t leave you feeling like a glazed doughnut. There is no stickiness, oiliness or greasiness and yet it plumps your skin and gives you the natural, healthy glow that you deserve, especially during summer, when it’s so hot and humid.
- And finally, I’ll put on some SPF. A crucial step that should never be missed.
How involved were you in the process, from the formulation of the product through to the packing and marketing?
Very involved! It took me about a year to perfect our formulas, all made from scratch with our team and factories in Korea.
I was involved in every aspect, from creating formulas that did not exist, testing them on different skin types to make sure they delivered the best results, to the heat chamber tests for all our products to ensure they would survive the Middle Eastern climate. The packaging, texture, smell, feel, you name it! I wanted to ensure that we would deliver the best products and experience for our customers.
GO: Follow @peacefull on Instagram for more information.